Again a combination summary. Life rather got in the way!
- some images in the garden taken under heavy frost
- images for assignment 5 of the local woodlands, unfortunately the particular image I wanted was not available – someone had removed the large pile of logs
- Edinburgh at Christmas – not very successful pictures of the fun fair – too much distraction
- Edinburgh Botanics light show
- still Barrett on criticism
- Robert Adams – Beauty in Photography – interesting alternative take to Barrett on criticism especially in essay ‘Civilising Criticism’
- Photoworks 23 – I particularly like the Folio on Katja Stuke and Oliver Sieber with the contrasting works ‘ on the street’, with the contrast of the shaven headed ‘Cry Minami’ images posted in cities across the world versus the Sieber images of people shown from the back.
- Futureproof 2017 – at Street Level Glasgow, a compilation of works from last years degree shows in Scotland
- Robin Gillanders retrospective – Still in Edinburgh – I liked the images from ‘A Lover’s Complaint’ which shows images based on haiku by Henry Gough-Cooper which are based on the ‘Fragments’ written about love and philosophy by Barthes.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idts/david_hurn_photographer_swaps_magnum – came across this article online about the Hurn exhibition in Cardiff – he says ‘The point of the selfie is immediate and only of interest for seconds so most of the interest seems to me as someone who doesn’t do it, to be the fun act of doing it, usually with friends.’
- spent a lot of time considering which images to put in assignment 5 – and, more crucially, which to leave out!
- I have realised that over the last year while taking a vast collection of images – very few of these actually talk about what I am doing in my life. So, I splashed out on an Instax camera with my Christmas money and am planning to take an image every week that says something about what I (and the family) have been doing. I will then make this into an album.